Veterans Benefits


Welcome Student Veterans

In collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs, ArtCenter is proud to be able to assist veterans and their dependents. Below you will find information to assist you in applying for your V.A. Benefits.  Our V.A. Certifying Official will certify your tuition assistance after you have applied for your benefits.   We are also pleased to let you know that ArtCenter does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

This program allows degree granting institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration (VA). Under this agreement, ArtCenter will contribute up to $4,000 of tuition expenses per year, and the VA will match that amount. Detailed information about the Yellow Ribbon Program can be found online.

In order to qualify for education benefits provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs, a student must be accepted into an ArtCenter degree program and enrolled in classes which meet requirements for an approved bachelors or masters degree. Learn more about the Veterans Benefits and Yellow Ribbon Program.

Certifying Official

Begin by reviewing the application process below.  We will certify your tuition assistance after you have applied for your benefits.  If you have any questions regarding the certification process please contact the ArtCenter VA Certifying Official listed below:

Dalia Hernandez, VA Certifying Official
Financial Aid Office
1700 Lida St.
Pasadena, CA 91103

New Students

If you're not sure of your benefits, begin here:

Apply for Benefits

VA Certification Documents

To activate VA benefits, the student must contact the VA Certifying Official listed above and submit all of the following documents.

  • To apply for your benefits online visit
  • Copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter to the Financial Aid Office. 
  • Copy of your Discharge Paper Form DD214
  • Copies of all foreign and Military Transcript

Military Transcript Request Sites

Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine Corps 

Air Force 

Please Note: If your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) has changed, please submit an updated copy to the Financial Aid Office.

Transfer Students

In addition to the above listed items, Veterans and/or their dependents who have never attended ArtCenter but who have applied for benefits at another institution must also submit one of the following applicable forms. You may be able to submit requests to the VA electronically.

VA Form 22-1995 - Request for Change of Program or Place of Training

VA Form 22-5495 - Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training 

Continuing Students

Once your benefits have been established, you will need to register for courses each term.

VA Payments

Students using Chapters 30, 32, 35, 1606, and 1607 will receive monthly payments from the VA based on their enrollment status each month. The VA makes payments based on your monthly attendance and not semester attendance. Payments are sent from the VA by direct deposit or check after you have verified your monthly attendance through WAVE.

Tuition and Fees for Chapter 31 and 33 are paid directly to ArtCenter.

Current VA payment rates can be viewed here

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between the VA and participating institutions to cover all or a portion of tuition and fees charged after a student has exceeded the maximum benefit rate. ArtCenter will contribute up to $4,000 of tuition expenses per year and the VA will match the same amount. Please click here for more information about Yellow Ribbon.

Course Drops/Withdrawals

Any course submitted to the VA that is dropped or withdrawn from, a 22-1999 enrollment verification will be sent to the VA by the school Certifying Official within 30 days of the change of enrollment. VA enrollments will be adjusted or terminated as of the date of student drop/withdrawal. A drop/withdrawal after the first date of the term may result in a VA request for repayment of MAH, Books/Supplies, or tuition from the school as of the date of the enrollment change. ArtCenter will rebill the student for repayment.

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond the student's control that prevent the student from continuing in school or that cause the student to reduce credits. The VA requires schools to document potential mitigating circumstances. Any withdrawal with a mitigating circumstance selected will require additional documentation of the mitigating circumstance to be submitted to ArtCenter prior to the mitigating circumstance being reported. For more information on mitigating circumstances, please click here to see what the VA considers acceptable. If mitigating circumstances cannot be validated, the VA may request repayment of MAH, Books/Supplies, or tuition from the school as of the date of the enrollment change. ArtCenter will rebill the student for repayment.

Academic Probation

ArtCenter will follow the official institute academic policy when reporting academic progress to the VA. VA requires institutions to report veteran students who are not meeting an institution’s academic standards. When ArtCenter is made aware of a VA Student no longer meeting academic standards, notification will be electronically submitted to the VA on the student’s VA record. Please review the institute academic policy on page 21 via the student handbook online.


Apply for Financial Aid

While the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is not required for veterans benefits you may wish to supplement your benefits with additional financial aid.

  • Visit the Financial Aid website to learn more about financial aid.
  • Complete the FAFSA by the March 1st priority deadline.


Last modified: Wednesday, 1 September 2021, 8:34 AM